1/6 Photos of The Ultimate Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
1 hr 5 mins
Diana #2's Note:
There is always room for one more mac & cheese recipe. This newly created version with the addition of ricotta cheese puts a whole new spin on this traditional comfort food. Is this recipe too large for your family? Remember, Mac & Cheese is terrific frozen in serving size portions for use later. Created for RSC 16, and was awarded First Place. My thanks to everyone that reviewed the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups sweet onions, chopped
- 3 liters water, boiling
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 cups cavatappi pasta, uncooked
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili sauce, to start
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups old cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1Saute onions, on low heat, in 1 tbsp of butter until just tender, but not brown. Set aside.
- 2In a large pot, add 1 tbsp salt to the boiling water, and cook pasta until al denta. Drain, but do not rinse.
- 3While the pasta is cooking, prepare the sauce.
- 4In a microwave safe measuring cup, mix the half and half with the milk, and heat for 2 minutes on high, in the microwave. Let sit in the microwave until ready to use. (This step is not crucial, but the sauce will thicken faster when using warmed milk.).
- 5Preheat oven to 350*. Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- 6In a medium sized saucepan, using medium heat, melt 1/4 cup of butter along with the black pepper. Once bubbling, sprinkle with 1/4 cup of flour. Allow a few moments for the fat to absorb the flour, then stir to combine. Carefully stir the warmed cream/milk into the butter/flour mixture and cook until thickened. This generally takes about 10 minutes on my stove.
- 7Remove from heat, and stir in the onions, hot chili sauce, ricotta cheese, and the 2 cups of shredded cheddar. Stir until the cheddar has melted. Taste, and add the optional salt if needed. Depending on your taste, you may also opt to increase the amount of hot chili sauce as well.
- 8Pour the sauce over the drained pasta and gently stir. Pour into the prepared casserole dish.
- 9Mix together 1 tbsp melted butter with the corn flake crumbs. Sprinkle over the pasta and top with the 1/4 cup shredded cheddar.
- 10Bake for 35 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Ultimate Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (482 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 505.8
- Calories from Fat 245
- Total Fat 27.2 g
- Saturated Fat 16.8 g
- Cholesterol 82.2 mg
- Sodium 1259.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 21.3 g