1/1 Photo of The Houstonian's Southwest Caesar Salad
This is posted in response to a request. This salad is absolutely delicious. It's a popular menu item at the Houstonian Hotel.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, washed and torn into 1 1/2 by 1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup cooked black beans
- 3/4 cup roasted corn kernel
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, from a mexican squash (pepitas)
- 1/2 cup Cotija cheese (Mexican white cheese) or 1/2 cup other queso fresco
- multicolored tortilla chips, baked or fried,for garnish
Spicy Caesar Dressing
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons thai chili paste
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1/2 lime, juice of
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Prepare dressing first.
- 2In the bowl of a food processor, combine yolk, garlic, mustard, anchovies, pepper, salt, coriander, cumin, Worcestershire and water.
- 3Process all until smooth.
- 4With motor running, pour oils in a slow, steady stream into egg mixture.
- 5When all oil has been incorporated, add chili paste, lemon and lime juices and Parmesan.
- 6Process until smooth.
- 7Prepare salad next.
- 8Spin or pat lettuce dry.
- 9Place in large salad bowl.
- 10Add dressing; toss lightly.
- 11Add beans and corn; toss again.
- 12Divide mixture among 4 chilled plates.
- 13Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and cheese.
- 14Garnish with tortilla chips.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Houstonian's Southwest Caesar Salad
Serving Size: 1 (562 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 826.5
- Calories from Fat 641
- Total Fat 71.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 63.8 mg
- Sodium 536.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.3 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 20.0 g