Recipe by Geema
Step away from the Hot Plate and Head to the Grill! The Hot Plate Houdini's would like to introduce you to The Houdini's Magical Jerk Tuna Kabobs with Pineapple Glaze, created especially for ZWT3. Make plenty, they'll "Disappear Fast!"
Top Review by PatrickG
These were really great! I made them on my electric grill in my apartment, and they still turned out juicy and tasty. Greg doesn't like tuna steak so I substituted chicken on his half of the kabob's, which worked well, too. I would leave out the ginger next time, but then again that was one of my Greg's favorite aspects of the flavors. Thanks for posting, I'm definitely making this again, especially while I'm watching my calories.
- 1 cup finely chopped scallion
- 1 scotch bonnet peppers (wear rubber gloves or use plastic sandwich bags to protect your hands from the volatile oils.) or 1 habanero pepper, seeded and minced (wear rubber gloves or use plastic sandwich bags to protect your hands from the volatile oils.)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4-1 1⁄2 lbs fresh ahi tuna, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 red onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick and quartered
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2⁄3 cup pineapple juice
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1⁄4 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Put first 12 ingredients -- scallions through cinnamon -- into a blender and puree.
- Pour marinade into a plastic bag, then add the tuna.
- Place bag, sealed well, into the refrigerator for 2 - 6 hours, turning every once in a while to distribute marinade evenly.
- If using wooden skewers, cover them with water in a shallow dish and let stand for 2 hours.
- In a pot of boiling water, blanch the bell peppers, zucchini, and onion for 1-2 minutes depending on the size of the slices. Drain and pat dry.
- Make pineapple glaze by placing pineapple juice, lemon juice, ginger, chili, soy, honey and cilantro in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then turn down to medium low, cooking until mixture is reduced by half. Set aside.
- Remove tuna from refrigerator and drain off marinade.
- On metal or wooden skewers alternately thread ingredients: a slice of onion, tuna , pineapple, bell pepper, zucchini, etc. or in any order that pleases you.
- Heat grill to medium high and cook the kabobs for about 6-8 minutes total, turning once. Use pineapple glaze often to brush on kabobs as cooking and to drizzle any remaining on plates.