Recipe by Kim D.
I first ate this wonderful burger while on vacation in Colorado Springs, at a restaurant called Paravicini's Italian Bistro. This is not their recipe, yet my recreation of that delicious burger. Delizioso!
Top Review by sugarpea
Thankfully I can purchase these buns at several bakeries. Delicious burger and I made it with ground turkey, skipping the milk and using olive oil rather than butter. These burgers will have your guests talking long after their evening enjoyment.
- 1 slice bread
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 red onion, sliced
- 2 roasted red peppers (Such as Roasted Red Bell Peppers)
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 buns, rosemary focaccia (See note)
Directions See How It's Made
- ~NOTE~ I use Recipe #82337 for the buns which can be made up a day ahead of time or several weeks ahead of time if frozen. The recipe makes 2 loafs, but I divide the dough to make 8 buns. If you don't have time to make the focaccia buns, then regular buns can be used.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine bread and milk and allow to sit for several minutes.
- Squeeze the milk from the bread and discard milk.
- In the same mixing bowl, combine the wet bread, ground beef, garlic, parmesan cheese, oregano, parsley, red pepper flakes, pepper, and salt.
- Mix ingredients by hand to combine well.
- Divide meat mixture into 4 and form 4 patties about 3/4-inch to 1-inch thick.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil with butter.
- Once butter is melted, add sliced red onions and saute until tender, but not brown.
- Remove onions from skillet and place on a plate.
- Place patties in hot skillet.
- Cook patties 5-6 minutes on each side, or until done to your liking.
- While patties are cooking, you can toast the buns, if desired.
- Just before patties are done, place 1 slice of provolone cheese and 1 slice on mozzarella on top of each patty and allow to melt.
- Remove patties from skillet and place them on paper towels to drain.
- Place each patty on a rosemary focaccia bun.
- Top each patty with a slices of roasted red bell pepper and a few grilled onions.
- Serve open face and allow your guest to dress up their burgers with the condiment of their choice - such as lettuce, tomatoes, mayo and mustard.