Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this in a cookbook a couple of years ago and finally had the courage to try it and decided to share it with you.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or to taste)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- chopped roasted peanuts, for garnish
- fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- toasted coconut, for garnish
- lime wedge, for garnish
- Heat peanut oil in heavy pot over low-med heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook until onion is clear, about 5 minute.
- Add turmeric, curry, cayenne and coriander and cook, stirring often for another 2 minute Stir in broth and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and sweet potatoes and simmer over low heat until almost cooked, about 10 minute.
- Place peanut butter in a bowl and whisk in about 1 cup of the hot stock from the soup. Add lemon juice and soy sauce and stir well.
- Whisk the mixture back into the soup and simmer for 5 minute.
- Stir in the cabbage and coconut milk and cook until heated through.
- Adjust the seasoning, adding sugar if desired.
- Garnish each serving with peanuts, cilantro and coconut and a squeeze of lime juice.
I've been cooking a soup like this for awhile but came across your recipe with a few added "tweaks". This is one of my family's favourites I've made it for my boyfriends family as well and they were begging for the recipe! Soo yummy! It has a nice spiciness, its so filling, and I love the cabbage in this. I tend to cook my cabbage a little longer though. Thanks!
This is a delicious soup. I had a small head of napa cabbage from my CSA farm and used the whole thing. Its very filling and definitely worth trying.
Filling, satisfying and good. Love to find a vegetarian recipe that is filling and fatty! Yummy!!!