Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Healthy and delicious Thai-style dish.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef top sirloin steaks, cut about 3/4 inch thick
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut into bite-size strips
- 2 cucumbers, cut in half, remove seeds, slice thinly
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup peanuts, chopped
- Thinly slice the beef across the grain into strips: easier if the beef is partially frozen.
- Combine ketchup, fish sauce, brown sugar, and lime juice in a bowl.
- Add beef strips, tossing to coat.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Stir broth, ginger, cornstarch, and crushed red pepper into reserved marinade and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Stir-fry the garlic in hot oil for 15 seconds.
- Add carrots, stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add green onion, cucumber, and sweet pepper and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Remove from wok.
- Add half of the beef to the hot wok or skillet.
- Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or to desired doneness.
- Remove beef from wok and set aside.
- Stir-fry remaining beef.
- Return all beef to wok.
- Stir the broth mixture and add it to the wok, cooking and stirring until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in vegetables and heat them through.
- Mix in the peanuts.
- Serve beef and vegetables over hot cooked rice.
This was a nice change from our usual stiry fry. I made a few changes based on what I had in the house. Used celery instead of cucumber and omitted the green onion. Also cut way back on the red pepper flakes (maybe 1/2 tsp) since our taste buds run much milder. Will make again.
Not bad. My boyfriend liked it. I think next time I'll lessen the ketchup and increase the fish sauce.
It was an ok dish for me....I think the ketchup was a little too much for me but the kids loved it.Thanks for the recipe.