Szechuan Orange Beef (Stir-Fry)
Easy, sweet, and spicy. Classic Szechuan stir-fry. Serve with a green vegetable over rice.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb lean beef steak, sliced against the grain 1/4-inch thick and 2-inches long (easier if steaks are partially frozen)
- 2 fluid ounces peanut oil
- 2 dried red chili peppers, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing rice wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons gingerroot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon dried orange peel, soaked and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon szechuan peppercorns, roasted and finely ground
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- In a bowl, mix all marinade ingredients well and let meat marinate in mixture for 20 minutes.
- Combine sauce ingredients; set aside.
- Heat wok over high heat, then add peanut oil (be careful of splattering).
- Remove beef from marinade and stir-fry until browned (3 minutes).
- Remove and let drain through a sieve.
- Pour most of the oil out of the wok, reserving about 2 teaspoons.
- Reheat the oil, and when it's very hot and smoking slightly, add the dried chili peppers and stir-fry for about 10 seconds.
- Return the beef to the pan and add sauce.
- Stir-fry for 3 minutes, mixing well.
- Serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
My family LOVED this recipe! DH doesn't really like stir-fry and I bought the meat to use on a night when he was working. Of course I didn't get around to making anything with it until his night off. I searched for a stir-fry that had flavors he would enjoy and found this one. It was a huge hit with everyone and I was told that it was the best stir-fry DH has ever had. I loved the combination of flavors. The Thai Bird chilies balanced the fresh ginger and orange very nicely. I didn't have any Szechuan peppercorns, so used plain old black peppercorns, but I made good use of my homemade sun-dried orange peel! Fabulous dish! Thanks so much for posting, littleturtle! :)