Prep 30 mins
Cook 14 mins
This is from "A Hundred Years of Island Cooking", an old cookbook from the Hawaiian Electric Company.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (or poultry)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup sake
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 400°F Grease a large baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine meat, eggs, flour, salt and pepper. Mix lightly and shape into small balls about 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter.
- Place in prepared baking pan and bake for 14 to 17 minutes.
- In a skillet or chafing dish, combine corn starch, sugar and soy sauce. Stir in broth, sake, ginger and garlic. Cook until mixture thickens slightly, stirring constantly.
- Add meatballs and serve.