Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
After borrowing my mums dehydrator, I lost my mind and started dehydrating everything. When I suddenly remembered all the gamey meat, I refuse to eat (I hate the gamey flavor), I decided to try making it into jerky, that I knew my husband at least, would like. After searching the internet over, I found this one, and added my own hutspuh to it. It turned out so well, I even like it! And everyone I've offered it to wants more. I've made it with beef, deer and elk now, and it always turns out marvelous! I hope you like as much as we have!
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (not onion salt)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2⁄3 cup teriyaki marinade
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄4 cup Coke
- 1 lb venison or 1 lb beef
- Combine all ingredients, except meat and Coke.
- Whisk well together and pour into ziplock bag. Take meat either to a meat shop, or slice yourself, against the grain (makes it more tender) in 1/4 to 1/2 inches. Add all meat in with the marinade.
- Finally add the coke. Mix together, making sure all the meat is coated. Open up and let all the air out and seal again.
- Let marinate between 8 hours to 16 hours. I usually mix mine in the morning and let it sit for 24 hours.
- Strain meat, and discard juices and bag.
- Place meat on dehydrator trays, side by side (never layer pieces of meat on top of each other) and dehydrate about 8 hours.
- When done, the jerky should have no signs of redness and be pliable enough to bend in half without breaking.
- Bon Appetite!