Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 hrs
This is comfort food at its best. It's from Hometown Favorites by Ann Parker of Pittsford, NY.
Make and share this Tangy Tender Chicken (Crock Pot) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- hot cooked rice
- In slow cooker, layer carrots, green pepper, and onion. Top with chicken.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Place pineapple over chicken.
- Add brown sugar, soy sauce, bouillon, salt, pepper, ginger, and garlic powder to pineapple juice; pour over pineapple.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into cooking juices. Cook 30 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened.
- Serve over rice.
I used about 1/2 lb of baby carrots and added 1 red pepper, sliced and 2 stalks celery cut into 1 inch chunks. I also used about 1 1/2 lbs of chicken tenderloins, threw them in the pot frozen, and cooked it for about 6 hours before adding the cornstarch/water. We like sauce; next time I will double the sauce/seasoning ingredients...adding the juice of the 2nd can of pineapple but not the extra chunks of pineapple. My picky 9 y/o enjoyed this as well, thanks for posting!
Simply delicious, yummy, and comforting all in one big crock pot! :D Thank you so very much for this recipe! I tossed this simple dish together this morning and came home from a long day to the most amazing smelling house! I'm just glad that I was out all day, because I would have had the munchies from that smell! LOL! I left out the carrots, because I didn't have any and really, I'm not a huge carrot fan. All I had, much to my dismay, was crushed pineapple, but I'm soooo glad now! It just blended in so nicely with the sauce! And, it was the kind in it's own juice, but I don't think that took anything away from the dish. The chicken was so moist and full of flavor! Again, thanks so much! This will be a meal made over and over again!
Great Sweet and Sour chicken! We enjoyed it a lot! We did do a few things differently though. I was already boiling down 2 chickens (skinless)to bone for some meal later, when I found this recipe. So since I was using the Crockpot already I finished boiling the chicken and after it was tender I drained it, boned it, and put it aside. I then mixed the sauce up and let that cook for about an hour more, but we were running out of time so I put it on the regular stove to thicken up faster. I added the chicken and threw in some pre-cooked leftover carrots from a stew the night before and cooked till thoroughly heated. It was very good! My youngest was not amused but he is 5, and likes cheese. Nothing else this week, just cheese. So his opinion does not count. One of my daughters thought it was too sweet, and I probably could cut the brown sugar down 1/3 or maybe even 1/2. But out of 9 people and only 2 so so comments? Fantastic! Thanks, I will be making it again!