Crock Pot Whole Chicken
Tender, fall-off-the-bone chicken! Skip the overnight refrigeration if you are in a hurry. For variety, eliminate the onion and substitute a quartered lemon or two, stuffed into the chicken cavity. Chef Shapeweaver had a good suggestion: Use Fajita Seasoning Mix #28011 as another variation. Thanks! The standard size slow cookers are a bit too small and a whole chicken won't fit. You'll need a 6-quart slow cooker for this recipe.
- Ready In:
- 4 teaspoons salt (per recipe reviews, 2 tsp is better)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large roasting chicken (with pop-up timer if possible)
- 1 cup chopped onion (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the spices.
- Remove any giblets from chicken and clean chicken.
- Rub spice mixture onto the chicken.
- Place in resealable plastic bag and refrigerate overnight. (I usually skip this step because I'm always in a hurry).
- When ready to cook, put chopped onion in bottom of crock pot.
- Add chicken. No liquid is needed, the chicken will make its own juices.
- Cook on low 4-8 hours.
- Note: I highly recommend a pop-up timer in the chicken because some crock pots cook faster/slower than others (my crock pot cooks this recipe in 4-5 hours).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I didn’t have an onion so I used 1 cup of water w/ onion soup mix and spread all of the seasonings on the skin. 6 hours in my crock pot was perfect. No timer or thermometer. I broiled for 4 minutes. It was fall off the bone good and juicy. MUCH easier than using a Dutch oven. Next time - I’ll add potatoes and carrots and an actual onion and maybe some butter. The broth/juice was so good on the mashed potatoes & chicken. Thank you for this recipe!
This was delicious! Cooking it in the crockpot on high was key - the chicken was flavorful and still firm. Broiling it made the chicken visually appealing, unlike other Whole chicken recipes. I cooked mine for 4 hours in high but the internal temp wasn’t high enough so I set it in the oven at 375 degrees for 10 minutes which brought it to the right internal temp and also browned the chicken all over. A couple of modifications: set a cut onion, some mini carrots, and peeled and sliced red potatoes on the bottom of the crockpot, placing the chicken on top; mix a little chicken broth with 2 tablespoons of dry ranch dressing packet and pour it over the chicken, and then place about 5 thin slices of butter on top.