Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
Normally I can't stand corn in a casserole dish, but this is wonderful! My husband (who is normally picky) even likes it! Also inexpensive.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion (I use less)
- 3⁄4 cup salsa
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (14 ounce) can sliced ripe olives
- 1 (8 ounce) package corn muffin mix
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green chili (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese (or more if you like lots of cheese)
- Cook beef and onion in medium skillet until meat is no longer pink and drain grease.
- Stir in salsa, taco seasoning, and water, bringing to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cook 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened.
- Stir in corn and olives.
- Spoon into an ungreased 13x9 dish.
- Prepare corn muffin batter mix according to box directions.
- Stir in cheese and chilis.
- Stir until smooth and spread over meat mixture.
- Bake uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Top with additional salsa if desired.
Zoe, thank you so much for sharing this recipe, it is a great addition to our collection of delicious meals. I highly recommend it to all.
TERRIFIC!!!! This was a nice different dish for my family as my son loves anything with olives and enjoys taco stuff. I cut back on the seasoning mix and onion, did not use the chilies, topped it with the cheese rather than cornbread and baked the cornbread separately, because sometimes my breads on top of casseroles don't get done all the way. Will make this again! Oh, and I made the recipe up to the olive part earlier in the day, baked, added the cheese, and made the cornbread at dinner time. Thanks for a great recipe!