Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Japanese meals include small servings of foods from many categories, one being braised or simmered. From Japanese Cooking by Susan Fuller Slack. This recipe is easily doubled.
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms (medium to large)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant dashi stock (dashi-no-moto powder)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sake
- Place mushrooms in a medium bowl; add warm water to cover and soak for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix simmering sauce ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Squeeze mushrooms dry. Cut off and discard the stems. Add mushroom caps to sauce, Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until liquid has almost all evaporated and mushrooms are well-seasoned. Serve warm or at room temperature. Divide with remaining liquid between 2 small serving bowls.