Recipe by zeldaz51
Japanese meals include small servings of foods from many categories, one being braised or simmered. From Japanese Cooking by Susan Fuller Slack. This recipe is easily doubled.
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms (medium to large)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant dashi stock (dashi-no-moto powder)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sake
Directions See How It's Made
- Place mushrooms in a medium bowl; add warm water to cover and soak for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix simmering sauce ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Squeeze mushrooms dry. Cut off and discard the stems. Add mushroom caps to sauce, Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until liquid has almost all evaporated and mushrooms are well-seasoned. Serve warm or at room temperature. Divide with remaining liquid between 2 small serving bowls.