Japanese meals include small servings of foods from many categories, one being braised or simmered. From Japanese Cooking by Susan Fuller Slack. This recipe is easily doubled.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms (medium to large)
- 1Place mushrooms in a medium bowl; add warm water to cover and soak for 30 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, mix simmering sauce ingredients in a small saucepan.
- 3Squeeze mushrooms dry. Cut off and discard the stems. Add mushroom caps to sauce, Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until liquid has almost all evaporated and mushrooms are well-seasoned. Serve warm or at room temperature. Divide with remaining liquid between 2 small serving bowls.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet Simmered Mushrooms (Shiitake No Nimono)
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 107.7
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1102.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
instant dashi stock