I discovered this many years ago and will even get my husband to eat it, even though there is no meat..........lol
- 2 tablespoons medium curry paste, Sharwood's Rogan Josh Curry Paste is a good one
- 3⁄4 cup red lentil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 480 g sweet potatoes, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (made with stock cubes)
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1⁄4 cup coriander leaves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a medium saucepan and add the curry paste. Cook, while stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add the lentils, bay leaves, onion, and sweet potato, ginger and chicken stock. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to low.
- Or until the sweet potato is cooked. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Place the cooked rice on 4 serving plates, spoon over the curry and scatter with coriander leaves.
I can't believe I haven't reviewed this recipe yet! We eat it pretty often, as it's really fast and cheap to make. It's one of the few meatless meals my husband likes, and the only way my daughter will eat spinach.
I don't always make the rice with it, eating it as a stew instead. And I just use whatever kind of lentils we have. We add more water and use frozen chicken broth instead of bouillon if I have it on hand. I only use a tsp of my Hot curry paste, so it's not too hot for my toddler. Spinach is great in this, and I've also added tomato and a little zucchini.
I thought the sauce in this was great, and the recipe was quick to make. However, my lentils never cooked all the way through! I cooked for 30 minutes and couldn't cook any more without risking ruining the sauce. I was using uncooked, regular lentils (didn't have red)... Maybe next time I'll cook the lentils on their own 'til done and just add to the rest of the recipe at the end.
Delicious! I added some craisins and didn't salt and pepper it, and it was great. I was pretty wary about the lentils since I don't like salty stuff, but the flavors mixed wonderfully.