Vegan Coconut Curry Red Lentil Soup
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (or up to 2T if you are a big curry fan)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 7 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 cups red lentils
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained (chickpeas)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- lime wedge (for garnish)
- To a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, add the oil. Add the curry powder and cinnamon and cook, stirring often, until the spices are fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook 2-3 minutes, followed by the carrots, ginger, and garlic, salt, sugar, and tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more.
- Pour in the water, coconut milk, lentils, and chickpeas. Stir and bring to a simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes or until the lentils are tender and the soup has thickened.
- At the very end, stir in the lime juice. Taste for seasoning and serve with fresh cilantro and lime wedges.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!