1/1 Photo of Sweet and Spicy Vegetarian Chili
"Many chili recipes contain brown or white sugar. In this recipe, more nutritious barley malt adds a smoky, beerlike sweetness that contrasts deliciously with the spices and green chiles." - Recipe from "Delicious Living" magazine, February 2004.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons barley malt
- 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- black pepper, to taste
- cubed avocado, for garnish
- grated monterey jack cheese or cheddar cheese, for garnish
- sour cream, for garnish
- 1Heat the oil in a large saucepan or stockpot over medium-high heat.
- 2Add chopped onions, bell pepper, and garlic.
- 3Sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, green chilies, and salt, if desired.
- 5Stir until veggies are evenly coated.
- 6Add vegetable broth, tomatoes and beans (with their liquids), and frozen corn.
- 7Add remaining ingredients (except garnishes) and mix thoroughly.
- 8Simmer uncovered over medium-low heat for at least 30 minutes, or until chili reaches desired consistency.
- 9Serve hot with desired garnishes.
Browse Our Top Peppers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sweet and Spicy Vegetarian Chili
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.8
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 400.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 8.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: