"Many chili recipes contain brown or white sugar. In this recipe, more nutritious barley malt adds a smoky, beerlike sweetness that contrasts deliciously with the spices and green chiles." - Recipe from "Delicious Living" magazine, February 2004.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons barley malt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- black pepper, to taste
- cubed avocado, for garnish
- grated monterey jack cheese or cheddar cheese, for garnish
- sour cream, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onions, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, green chilies, and salt, if desired.
- Stir until veggies are evenly coated.
- Add vegetable broth, tomatoes and beans (with their liquids), and frozen corn.
- Add remaining ingredients (except garnishes) and mix thoroughly.
- Simmer uncovered over medium-low heat for at least 30 minutes, or until chili reaches desired consistency.
- Serve hot with desired garnishes.