Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This looked so good and easy and you do it all in the microwave. Off MSN for safe keeping.
Make and share this Sweet and Sour Shrimp Casserole (Microwave) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb medium shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 medium onion, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can pineapple chunks (juice pack)
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 medium green sweet pepper, cut into strips
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3 cups cooked rice (hot)
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels.
- In a 2-quart microwave-safe casserole, combine onion and oil. Cover and microwave on 100% power (high) for 2 minutes. Add shrimp; cover and cook on high for 2 to 3 minutes more or until shrimp turn opaque, stirring once. Drain shrimp and onion in a colander; set aside.
- In the same casserole, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, ginger, and black pepper. Stir in undrained pineapple, soy sauce, and vinegar. Cook, uncovered, on high for 5 to 6 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring after every minute.
- Stir in sweet pepper. Cook, uncovered, on high for 1 minute. Stir in shrimp mixture and water chestnuts. Cook, uncovered, on high for 30 to 45 seconds more or until heated through, stirring once. Serve with hot cooked rice.
This was very tasty. The dish was very easy to prepare in the microwave, and it went well over a bed of steaming hot white rice (as the recipe indicates). I will definitely make this again. The only thing I did differently was leave out the water chestnuts (as my family doesn't care for them at all--otherwise the recipe was followed exactly as written.) Thaks for posting a great recipe, McSally.