Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Served hot or delicious served cold with a dollop of yogurt. Garnish with a Nip of Cream Sherry swirled into the soup just before serving and then top with garnish.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 acorn squash, peel seeded
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple juice
- 2 cups vegetarian broth or 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 apple, peeled cored,and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch of fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar or 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- yogurt or sour cream (to garnish)
- grated nutmeg (to garnish)
- Saute the onion,carrot, and squash in the butter and oil for 2 minutes.
- Add the apple juice, chicken stock, apple and seasoning.
- Cook until vegetable are tender,add heavy cream, warm, then puree in blender.
- Serve warm or cold with yogurt on side.
- Garnish with grated nutmeg.
This is the first soup I've ever made "from scratch." The hubby loved it and insisted that I make more so there are leftovers next time.
This is a wonderful, creamy and tasty soup! I've made it twice now. First time according to recipe. Second time I made some changes. I roasted the acorn squash ahead of time and scooped it out of it's shell...it was too difficult for me to peel it raw. The roasting also brings out a sweeter flavor in the squash. I added another carrot, cut the apple juice down to 1C and added 1/2 cup more of chicken broth. The changes produced a slightly less sweet but, IMO, a deeper flavor to the soup overall.
Loved this soup! Just the right amount of sweetness and nice smooth texture. So glad I made this for my payback recipe in Recipe Dare! Thanks Rita! I used butternut squash with a dollop of sour cream.