Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 tart green apples, peeled, cored, coarsely chopped (such as Granny Smith)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 lbs red cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed golden brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄3 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons red currant jelly or 2 tablespoons black currant jelly
- Melt butter in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add choped apples and onion sauté until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage and cook until slightly wilted, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes. Stir in sugar, cider vinegar, salt, cloves and allspice.
- Cover and cook until cabbage is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Uncover, add dry red wine and jelly and cook 5 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm, room temperature or chilled. (Cabbage can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Reheat over low heat if serving warm.).