Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Courtesy of Low Carb Luxury. I tried it and it's good! Problem is, it sets into marshmallows soon, so it's not a creme for long, but good news is it can be microwaved. On regular power, it melts within 3-5 second. Might want to adjust power. If you want to use the creme, do either the microwave or use right after you make it. I used it for gbmom's Light Rocky Road Brownies.
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in a mixing bowl.
- Set aside for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add to boiling water in saucepan; cook and stir until gelatin is dissolved.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool to consistency of thick syrup.
- Stir in Splenda® and vanilla (and marshmallow flavored oil if using.).
- Beat egg whites till soft peaks begin to form.
- Very slowly, trickle a small stream of gelatin mixture into egg white, beating until all gelatin is mixed in.
- Continue beating until light and fluffy (but not until they're dry.) If you're making marshmallow crème, pour into a jar (jelly jar, peanut butter jar, etc.) and refrigerate.
- If making marshmallows, continue-- For Mini marshmallows-- Pour into greased and floured pan, cool to set, and cut into size desired.
- For larger marshmallows, or marshmallow"eggs"-- Fill large square pan with a mixture of 2 parts vanilla protein powder to 1 part dried milk powder (the new Keto milk powder works well here.) The pan should be about two inches filled.
- Take a dry raw egg and make indentations in the powdery bottom with the fuller base of the egg for making marshmallows, or with the oval side of the egg for making marshmallow"eggs" Then pour the marshmallow creme filling into the little"moulds", sprinkle a dusting of the powder mixture over tops of marshmallows, and allow to set If you make the"eggs" and want to cover them with chocolate, melt the dark chocolate low-carb bars in the microwave till very soft and almost liquid (you can use the Carbolite, the DeLite bars, etc.) Dip each formed marshmallow egg into the chocolate quickly to coat and place flat side down onto waxed paper to set.
- The mini ones are perfect to sprinkle over puddings or berries and divine over pumpkin pie or mock sweet potato casserole!
- Or use the marshmallow crème wherever your creative mind takes you!
- 5 carbs in entire recipe for marshmallow crème.
- Adjust as needed when making formed"eggs", etc.
Tasty, especially when slightly warm. Great addition to jello to make a mousse, but DO NOT try to make rice cripsy bars, the marshmallow has too much water, soggy.
I made the creme, and it doesn't have much sweetness, but it has a pleasant texture. I think this would be a good base for a mousse recipe, I'll be expirimenting with this one.
Yucky, didn't really like them at all