Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook3 hrs 30 mins
This is a tasty recipe, especially if you take the time to make your own sauce. (Sometimes I cheat and use bottled - not as good.) I choose to omit the sausage and go meatless. The first time I took this to a church supper, I was asked for the recipe. Cook time includes time to cook sauce and bake in oven.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, chopped
- 2 (29 ounce) cans tomato puree
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 box jumbo pasta shells
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, diced
- 2 (15 ounce) containers ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 6 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 tablespoons chives
- onion salt or salt
- romano cheese, grated
- Sauce: Saute onions, pepper, and garlic in oil for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and saute 5 minutes more.
- Stir in tomato puree, paste, water and spices.
- Cook and crumble sausage in a separate pan; drain off fat.
- Add to sauce and simmer about 3 hours; add more water if sauce gets too thick.
- Shortly before assemblage, cook shells according to directions; drain.
- Filling and Assembly: Combine all ingredients except Romano cheese; spoon into shells (If mixture is too thin, add more Parmesan).
- Spoon some sauce into bottom of a 9x13-inch pan.
- Lay stuffed shells in pan.
- Pour on additional sauce.
- Sprinkle with Romano.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes.