Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This is a tasty recipe, especially if you take the time to make your own sauce. (Sometimes I cheat and use bottled - not as good.) I choose to omit the sausage and go meatless. The first time I took this to a church supper, I was asked for the recipe. Cook time includes time to cook sauce and bake in oven.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, chopped
- 2 (29 ounce) cans tomato puree
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 box jumbo pasta shells
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, diced
- 2 (15 ounce) containers ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 6 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 tablespoons chives
- onion salt or salt
- romano cheese, grated
- Sauce: Saute onions, pepper, and garlic in oil for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and saute 5 minutes more.
- Stir in tomato puree, paste, water and spices.
- Cook and crumble sausage in a separate pan; drain off fat.
- Add to sauce and simmer about 3 hours; add more water if sauce gets too thick.
- Shortly before assemblage, cook shells according to directions; drain.
- Filling and Assembly: Combine all ingredients except Romano cheese; spoon into shells (If mixture is too thin, add more Parmesan).
- Spoon some sauce into bottom of a 9x13-inch pan.
- Lay stuffed shells in pan.
- Pour on additional sauce.
- Sprinkle with Romano.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Very good! I've been looking for a nice recipe for stuffed shells and I've found it. I used my own homemade spaghetti meat sauce for this but otherwise followed the recipe as written. We liked the addition of chives to the cheese mixture....Thanks Whisper!
This was amazing! DH said "best sauce ever". Followed recipe exactly except doubled it, added 3 -10oz packages of spinach and a 16 oz container of cottage cheese (these amounts were for a double recipe. I had enough to feed 4-6 families a nice sized dinner. Oh, I also put it in the broiler for a few minutes to broil the cheese on top. yum! Oh, and he said I never need to make lasagna again. Thanks, Whisper.