This recipe is for one of the Turkish version of Pide, as every region has its own way of making Pide. This is the version that we all love most.
- 1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (for softer pide use milk) or 1 cup milk (for softer pide use milk)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 10 ounces ground beef or 10 ounces ground lamb
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄4 cup fresh curly-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- lemon juice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- Combine all ingredients for the dough and knead until smooth.
- Grease the dough with some drops of oil, cover and let rest 30 minutes; give a short knead.
- Cover and let rise until almost doubled (about 1 hour depending on the temperature).
- In the meantime prepare the filling:
- In a large skillet heat the oil.
- Add chopped onions along with chopped garlic.
- When onions are translucent, add ground meat, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Saute for 5 minutes until meat is done.
- Add tomato and cook briefly until water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and keep aside.
- When cool add parsley and 2 tablespoon fresh mint.
- Preheat oven at 200 degrees Celsius/400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the dough on a floured surface; cut into 4 pieces (for medium pide) or 8 pieces (for smaller pide).
- Make round balls and, using a rolling pin, roll into ovals (12 inches/30 cm for medium pide or 6 inches/15 cm for smaller pide). I possibly try to let the borders stay thicker.
- Transfer the oval dough on the baking sheet.
- Divide filling in equal portions; spread on the dough; pinch the points together giving a boat-like shape.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from oven and, if desired, drizzle with lemon juice.
- Top with remaining chopped fresh mint and serve.
- Note: to the filling you can add chopped bell peppers. You can also top the filling with grated cheese.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!