Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
These shrimp can be batter-dipped and fried, or breaded and baked, or cooked naked. I consider this to still be a work in progress, with many other potential variations, so use your imagination. This recipe also makes a great appetizer for 8 people.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs jumbo shrimp or 1 1⁄2 lbs jumbo shrimp, peeled,with tail and last shell segment left on (16 shrimp U10/lb)
- 1 English muffin, finely minced to crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted in a little extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted in a little extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb crabmeat, drained and picked over to remove shell and cartilage pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 4 scallions, including tops,finely chopped (green onions)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 -4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped,to taste
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (white Worcestershire if desired for looks, but dark tastes better)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese, room temperature (4 oz)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, to taste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 dash paprika (if baking naked) (optional)
- lemon wedges or lemon juice, as accompaniment
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (optional)
- 1 cup ice cold beer or 1 cup wine or 1 cup water (optional)
- 1 cup flour (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- canola oil or corn oil (for frying) (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)ORBreading (optional)
- 2 eggs, beaten with
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Butterfly shrimp by cutting down through the back most of the way through the shrimp.
- Devein and press to flatten, cut side up, on a cookie sheet or large shallow baking pan.
- Press with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Combine muffin crumbs, nuts, and crabmeat in a medium bowl, and set aside.
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until softened.
- Add parsley, jalapeno peppers, capers, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Reduce heat; add lemon juice, cream cheese, and feta cheese.
- Mix thoroughly, allowing to heat just until cheese is smooth and mixed with vegetables.
- Remove from heat, and add to crumb mixture.
- Toss together gently until thoroughly combined.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Place 2-3 Tbsp of cheese mixture on top of each shrimp, molding and smoothing to cover.
- Place in freezer for about 30 minutes to firm.
- If deep frying battered shrimp, preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Make batter by beating together egg and beer, wine, or water; if using beer, beat a little extra to reduce foam.
- Add all remaining ingredients, and mix just until dry ingredients are combined with the liquid.
- Let batter rest about 5-10 minutes.
- Heat about 2" of oil to 375 degrees F in a large saucepan or deep fryer.
- Dip prepared shrimp in batter one at a time, holding by tail, allowing excess batter to drain from shrimp before placing in hot oil.
- Cook 4-6 at a time until browned, turning once.
- Remove to a pan lined with paper towels and keep warm in the oven while cooking remaining shrimp.
- Allow oil to return to 375 degrees F before cooking each batch.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges, tartar sauce, and/or cocktail sauce if desired.
- If baking breaded shrimp, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly oil baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with breadcrumbs.
- If breading, brush tops of prepared shrimp lightly with egg-wash.
- Press breadcrumbs onto surface until they adhere, and place on baking sheet.
- After all shrimp are coated, sprinkle with paprika and drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Drizzle with fresh lemon juice, if desired.
- If serving naked, sprinkle prepared shrimp lightly with paprika, and bake as above, until lightly browned and bubbly.
- Naked shrimp can also be cooked on the barbecue, over low to medium coals.
- Place on oiled grate, cheese side up.
- Do not turn unless you love the taste and smell of burning cheese.
- Cook, covered for about 10 minutes.
- Drizzle with fresh lemon juice if desired.