I went in search of Brazilian recipes, for a night I'm planning. I didn't realize how popular stoganoff was! This is a combination of 2 recipes.
- 2 lbs beef or 2 lbs chicken fillets, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 lb cultivated white mushroom, sliced
- 2 -3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons mild mustard, i would use dijon
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Put the meat/chicken into a bowl with garlic, half the onion, salt, nutmeg, oregano and wine.
- Allow to marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat the oil and saute the remaining onion and mushrooms for a few minutes or until softened.
- Add the meat/chicken and marinade to the pan and cook.
- Add the ketchup and mustard.
- If it looks a bit dry, add a few tablespoons of water and cook a little longer.
- When the meat is cooked, add the sour cream and reheat gently-DO NOT BOIL.
- Serve with steamed white rice.
- *This should be cooked quickly so the meat doesn't toughen.
Substitute the sour cream for 1 can table cream (that's what we use in Brazil) and add 1 can of tomatoe sauce. I don't put alcohol in mine (chicken) but if you make the beef one, try whiskey instead of white wine. I also add 1 teaspoon ground cumin.
I've never tried anything Brazilian before. I used the suggested tomato paste and table cream in place of ketchup and sour cream. I also served it over brown rice rather than white rice. I was quite pleased with the results. It was definitely a new flavor all together.
Hi Jan, I prepared this chicken without reading the review first.<br/>We had kichen breast and fresh mushrooms, so this recipe cam just at the right time for me!<br/>I marinated the chicken as suggested, for the sauce I used a small can of cream (because this is what we had at home) and, as I never have ketchup at home, I used 3 tablespoon tomatoes paste with some Worchestershire sauce.<br/>As mustard I used some "mustard à l'ancienne" as I love this. For the spices, other ingredients and procedure I followed your recipe.<br/>I used steamed white rice mixed with wild rice as side dish.<br/>This came out really delicious and I know I will prepare this again for sure.<br/>Thanks a lot for this delicious recipe!