Recipe by Latchy
This is a good low fat recipe from Rosemary Conley's Low Fat Cookbook. It has plenty of flavour.
Top Review by Pets'R'us
Excellent, great flavor, easy and whilst cooking it smelled great! I used skinless thighs with the bone in and it produced lovely juices. Won't make this that much this time of year but certainly in the autumn and winter. The chicken was tender, I uncovered the dish the last 15 minutes of cooking, there were enough juices, this time of year it is difficult to buy floury potatoes and new ones don't soak up the stock so much. The bacon was very good in it.
- 4 chicken portions
- 100 g lean bacon
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 lbs floury potatoes, cut into thin slices
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 600 ml chicken stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- fresh chives (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180 deg Celsius.
- Trim the chicken and remove any fat.
- Remove the rind and any fat from the bacon.
- Dry fry the chicken, bacon and garlic in a non stick pan until the chicken is lightly browned.
- Place a layer of potatoes and onion slices in a casserole dish and season well with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Arrange chicken, garlic and bacon on top, then cover with the remaining potato and onion slice.
- Season again add stock.
- Cover and bake in the oven approx 11/2-2 hours or until the chicken is tender and potatoes are cooked.
- Add more stock if needed.
- Sprinkle with snipped chives and serve with selection of fresh veges.