Recipe by Mille®
Traditional British pie, normally filled with steak and kidneys. I hate kidneys, so I omitted them.
Top Review by Karin...
This Steak Pie With Cheese was SO, SO nice! Full of flavour and I added some kidneys to it. Most definately a 'keeper' for me!!!! The first and only Steak pie I'll ever make, I'm sure!!
- 2 lbs lean stewing beef, trimmed and cut into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons seasoned flour
- 2 tablespoons meat drippings or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, finely sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed herbs (fines herbs or a McCormick meat spice mix or make your own, i often use sage and rosemary)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves, whole
- 20 fluid ounces beef stock
- 5 ounces plain flour, sifted
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 1⁄2 ounces butter
- 3 ounces shredded cheddar cheese or 3 ounces shredded cheshire cheese or 3 ounces shredded lancashire cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Roll the meat in the seasoned flour.
- Reserve 2 teaspoons of the excess flour.
- Heat the fat or oil and just soften the onions and carrots in it but do not let them color.
- Remove them and put them in a flameproof dish.
- In the same fat quickly brown the meat all over and add it to the vegetables.
- Add the herbs and spices to the pan juices, together with the reserved seasoned flour.
- Mix well to absorb the fat, then add the stock and mix well until it boils and becomes smooth.
- Pour the thickened stock over the meat and vegetables, bring back to the boil then cover and put into the oven for 1-1½ hours.
- Meanwhile, make the crust by putting the flour and salt into a bowl, then rubbing in the butter until it is like coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add the cheese and mix well.
- When the meat is cooked, allow to cool slightly, then sprinkle the pastry mix evenly over the meat and bake for about 30 minutes or until it is golden and cooked.