Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A deliciously-different entree adapted from one of my favourite cookbooks: ‘The Onion Cookbook: cooking with onions, garlic, leeks, spring onions, shallots and chives’ by English chef Brian Glover. Not liking spicy food, when I’ve made this recipe I’ve omitted both the chilli and Thai fish sauce, but I’ve included them here for those who like their food spicy. Instead of the chilli, I add sweet red pepper. If the salsa needs more liquid, add a little more lime juice or lemon juice.
- 250 g ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons self-raising flour
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 bunch spring onion, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- sunflower oil, for shallow frying
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup creme fraiche, to serve
- 2 ripe ripe but not soft avocados
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 lime, juice and zest of, grated
- 1⁄2-1 red chile, seeded and finely chopped, to taste
- 225 g tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 -3 tablespoons mixed of fresh mint, and coriander
- 1 pinch caster sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoon Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
- fresh coriander sprig
- lime wedge
- THE SALSA: Peel, stone and dice the avocados. Place in a bowl with the red onion, lime rind and juice. Add chilli, to taste (or sweet red pepper if you don’t like spicy food), the tomatoes, mint and coriander. Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper, sugar and Thai fish sauce (omit this if you don’t like spicy food). Mix well and set aside for 30 minutes.
- THE FRITTERS: Beat the ricotta until smooth, then beat in the egg and flour, then the flour, to make a smooth, thick batter. Then beat in the spring onions and coriander and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan over a medium heat. Add spoonfuls of the batter mixture to make fritters (about 7.5 centimetres or 3” across) and lightly sauté for about 4-5 minutes on each side until the batter mixture has set and is a golden brown.
- SERVING: Taste the salsa and adjust the seasoning, adding more lime juice and/or sugar to taste. Serve the fritters with the salsa and dollops of crème fraiche. Garnish with coriander sprigs and lime wedges.
this was wonderful. loved the flavors. The texture was a little like pancakes bc i chose to use some cooking spray to cut calories!