- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth (can use fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth if desired)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup sun-dried tomato, julienne-cut and packed without oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 9 ounces fresh cheese tortellini
- 2 cups packed fresh Baby Spinach
- 6 -8 fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese, grated
- additional asiago cheese, grated (for sprinkling on top)
- salt, to taste (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In large Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add the shallots, onion, garlic and cayenne pepper and saute until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth, water, tomatoes and crushed red pepper; cover and bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini, spinach, basil and 1/2 cup Asiago cheese; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until pasta is done.
- Sprinkle with additional Asiago cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, if desired.
- This makes 8 servings at 1 cup each.