Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 cups long-grain rice, cooked
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 egg whites
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, chopped, thawed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- to taste olive oil flavored cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 9 inch pie plate with the cooking spray.
- Squeeze all moisture out of spinach.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter and saute onion 3 minutes.
- Stir in flour, salt and pepper.
- Gradually add in milk stirring with a whisk, until smooth.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Stir in rice, Feta, egg, egg white and spinach.
- Pour mixture into prepared pie plate, sprinkle top with Parmesan and b ake for 35 minutes.
- Turn broiler on and broil until top is golden brown, about 2 minutes.
Well, this is a good base recipe, but as is it was disappointing. We were glad to have some katsup in the fridge... my hubby said with out it he would have rated it a 2 but with it it's a 4. It just seemed to be lacking something. I am not giving up, though! Next time I will be adding garlic, way more cheese and some more seasonings.
Next time I will use about half the amount of spinach, it was a bit over-powering. I used a flavored rice and that seemed to save the dish for me.
An excellent quick and easy dish that has all the major food groups in one pan! My husband and I loved it.