This is a healthy and filling dish. I like it mainly because it is easy to prepare and serves the purpose of a hassle free main course. Great dish to serve at get togethers too.
- Ready In:
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups chopped spinach
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Heat butter on low heat and add rice, milk and salt and cook for 1 minute.
- Heat the oil and fry cumin seeds until they begin to crackle.
- Add onion and fry for 1 minute.
- Then add the green chilli and fry for some time.
- Add spinach and salt and cook till spinach is soft.
- Spread spinach at the bottom of a greased jelly mould.
- Spread the rice on top.
- Press well and cover.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes at 400°F.
- While serving, invert on a plate and serve with hot cream of tomato soup ro any other thick soup.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I don't have a jelly mould that can go in the oven, so after step 5, I simply mixed all the ingredients together and put them in a covered casserole dish in the oven for 10 minutes. I used baby spinach leaves (one of my staple ingredients) and 1 sweet red pepper instead of the chilie pepper (personal taste preference), and I added 4 cloves of chopped garlic to the onion. The cumin gave this a delicious aroma and flavour. An easy to make dish which we all enjoyed.