Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
An interesting combination using spinach and red cabbage. Very pleasing with the orange dressing.
Top Review by RE Taylor
Let me be the first to rate this recipe as fabulous! I like to add mandarin oranges to my salads so I utilized the juice packed with the oranges instead of regular OJ. I also wanted to allow the salad time to marinade but, I know red cabbage "bleeds" easily. So, I marinaded the cabbage separately in a small amount of the dressing and assembled each individual's serving on their plate. I was most impressed since we have a picky 8 year-old and she devoured hers!
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 head red cabbage, very thinly sliced or 3 cups sliced red cabbage
- 1⁄2 lb fresh Baby Spinach, stems removed or 3 cups Baby Spinach
- 2 large green onions, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pint jar with a tight lid, combine orange juice, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper; shake well.
- Prepare vegetables as noted.
- On a large serving platter, arrange thinly sliced red cabbage in the center of the platter.
- Arrange spinach around the cabbage.
- Sprinkle sliced onion over the cabbage and spinach.
- Drizzle about 1/3 of the dressing over salad.
- Serve remaining dressing with the salad as desired.