An interesting combination using spinach and red cabbage. Very pleasing with the orange dressing.
Make and share this Spinach & Red Cabbage Salad With Orange Dressing recipe from Food.com.
- In a pint jar with a tight lid, combine orange juice, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper; shake well.
- Prepare vegetables as noted.
- On a large serving platter, arrange thinly sliced red cabbage in the center of the platter.
- Arrange spinach around the cabbage.
- Sprinkle sliced onion over the cabbage and spinach.
- Drizzle about 1/3 of the dressing over salad.
- Serve remaining dressing with the salad as desired.
Let me be the first to rate this recipe as fabulous! I like to add mandarin oranges to my salads so I utilized the juice packed with the oranges instead of regular OJ. I also wanted to allow the salad time to marinade but, I know red cabbage "bleeds" easily. So, I marinaded the cabbage separately in a small amount of the dressing and assembled each individual's serving on their plate. I was most impressed since we have a picky 8 year-old and she devoured hers!
Crisp and delicious. I added an ounce of olive oil to the dressing so it would stick to the veg a bit better.
The salad is really good, but the dressing is awesome! I did add a little lemon to it and substitued splenda for the sugar. If you use the low sugar orange juice it brings the calorie count down even lower! I put this dressing on slaws, bean salads, and tossed salads. It is also a great marinade for chicken or shrimp! The possibilities are endless with this. Thank you!