Recipe by CulinaryQueen
From the 1980 edition of The Philadelphia Orchestra Cookbook.
Top Review by sven84
Quick easy to make and tastes so good have been looking for this for a while and never could quite make it like my mum. i think this is as close as i'm going to get. cut down the butter by half and used whole wheat flour and through in some chill flakes for a bit of spice so good!
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 small onion, minced
- 16 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, chopped, thawed and drained
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180C/350°F.
- Pour melted butter into 9 X 13 baking dish and swirl around to cover sides.
- In medium bowl combine salt, pepper, baking powder and flour and set aside.
- In large bowl, beat eggs with milk. Add flour mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Add onion, cheese and spinach, mixing after each addition.
- Pour mixture into baking dish and sprinkle with pine nuts, if using.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove and let cool 45 minutes to set before cutting into bite-sized pieces.
- These may be frozen for future use. To freeze, place squares on cookie sheet. When frozen, transfer to a plastic bag. To reheat, bake at 165C/325F for 12 minutes.