Spinach Cheese Squares
I found this in my mother's collection of recipe clippings, from the 1960's. The only change I made was to reduce the salt to one-half teaspoon. You could probably substitute frozen chopped spinach to save time. I think these taste great at room temperature.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, shredded (Sometimes I use jack cheese with jalapenos)
- 4 cups spinach, fresh chopped, cooked and drained very well (I use bagged baby spinach, no washing & cooks in 2 minutes)
- 3 -4 tablespoons onions, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a 9 X 13 pan. Either melt butter in microwave and then pour into pan, or place baking pan with butter into oven for a minute or two; then remove from oven and tip the pan so that the butter coats evenly on bottom and sides.
- Beat eggs.
- Mix flour into beaten eggs.
- Stir in milk, salt and baking powder.
- Add cheese and spinach, mixing well.
- Add onion and seasonings, stirring thoroughly.
- Spread into baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Cool 30 minutes before serving.
- Cut 6 across and 9 down for the perfect sized finger-food appetizer.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This is excellent as a side dish for fish or any meat!We loved it!I think this is going to be a front runner recipe in the way to serve spinach. Used 2 tblsps chopped dried onions soaked in cold water for ten minutes instead of fresh onions. I used 2 eggs and 2 cups of cheese, mexican mixed and sharp cheddar.I used a 10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed,drained. I used 1/2 tsp lemon pepper and italian seasoning. No nutmeg used.
I was looking for recipe similar to this, and when I saw "great at room temperature" and pic, decided this must be "IT" Used half cheddar and half pepperjack for a change, and it was interesting that one would never know if they got the peppery bite or not! ABSOLUTLEY great at room temperature- the flavors come out!