Recipe by Oolala
From my Thanksgiving recipe file (which I'm trying to post here). I haven't made it yet. You can omit the food processor/blender step by adding green chilies directly to the soup. Finely chop the cilantro and combine it with the sour cream and then dollop with mixture as directed.
Top Review by gfb712
This is exactly the recipe I was searching for! Thank you so much. This is a great, tasty soup and can be made with winter squashes as well. I have made it with both hubbard and acorn squash and have used frozen rather than fresh also.
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced, drained
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine green chilies, sour cream and cilantro in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. (See description note for alternative to processing.).
- Combine pumpkin, chicken broth, water, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and pepper if desired, in a medium saucepan; stir in 1/4 cup of the green chili mixture.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into 4 serving bowls and top each with a dollop of the the remaining green chili mixture and additional sour cream, if desired. Check seasoning to see if it needs adjustment or salt.
- Run tip of spoon through dollops to make swirl.