Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Like the title says, these are spicy! Great taste from India!
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 hot green chili peppers, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mushrooms, cleaned and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seeds, crushed
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander (to garnish)
- Measure the spices and place them right next to the stove in separate piles.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add the ginger, garlic, and chilies, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the turmeric, mushrooms, and salt.
- Cook, stirring, until all the moisture evaporates and the mushrooms begin to fry (about 15 minutes).
- Lower the heat, sprinkle on the cumin seeds and the lemon juice, mix well, and continue cooking until the mushrooms absorb the lemon juice and look fried (about 5 minutes).
- Turn off the heat and serve warm, at room temperature, or cold, sprinkled with chopped fresh coriander.
Yummmmm! The spices in this recipe are exellent!! I guess I'm the opposite of Charishma because I added extra chilies for even more of a kick. Had these warm, but will try them cold next time... if I can keep myself from eating it long enough :^)
Mushroom lovers enjoy this, but I cant have too spicy food or I'll end up crying at the table. LOL..So, I do tone down the spice, but whenever I make this, it's well enjoyed:)
terrific way to do mushrooms, i served them with arabic samoosak's (little meat pies with cumin)