Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I made up this recipe in my diet days when I tried to eat healthy. It is quick, tasty and low fat. You can either serve on top of rice or wrap in a soft tortilla for a great low fat and filling meal.
- 1 lb ground chicken (you can use sliced boneless breasts, but I always use ground, DO NOT use ground chicken in the tube) or 1 lb ground turkey (you can use sliced boneless breasts, but I always use ground, DO NOT use ground chicken in the tube)
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 -3 cups chunky salsa (I use hot)
- 4 soft flour tortillas (optional)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (optional)
- Slice all veggies.
- Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray or optional olive oil.
- Cook ground chicken until completely done, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onions and garlic to pan and sauté until translucent.
- Add zucchini, mushrooms, red and green peppers.
- Cover, stirring often until cooked.
- Don't drain liquid.
- Add cooked ground chicken and salsa to veggies.
- Mix well.
- Simmer about 10 minutes.
- Serve wrapped in a soft flour tortilla or over rice.
- DO NOT use ground chicken in the tube as it is dry and ruins the dish.
First time ever cooking with ground chicken - sooooooo good!!!! Served it over white rice :-)
Delish! Just finished having this meal with my husband and it will definitely stay in the "rotation"! I changed up a little as my husband isnt a big rice fan and i didnt have any tortillas on hand. So, added some quinoa to the chicken and veggie mixture and spooned it into roasted acorn squash halves. So many different variations of this meal came to mind for the future. Fantastic and healthy- thank you!
EXCELLENT! I felt like I was eating at a restaurant. I don't think I could give this more stars... My husband was stand off ish when I told him what I was making (he hates zucchini and salsa)... Then it was love at first bite, he ate 3 wraps!! I made it exactly as said (except I added some bean sprouts) and I have to say the bean sprouts were what "made it"... I basically never want to eat another wrap again unless it is filled with this. My preschool aged kids even ate this with some taco chips, and I'm already being asked to make it again this weekend!