Recipe by :)Shirl(:
This recipe is actually called "Sunday Gumbo", but seeing that some people are critical of how a true gumbo is fixed, I changed the name so as not to incriminate the innocent. Enjoy!
- 1 lb Italian sausage, links sliced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 -14 1⁄2 ounce tomatoes, canned, undrained and diced
- 1 lb medium shrimp, uncooked, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups frozen okra, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven, brown sausage and chicken in oil.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- In the drippings sauté red pepper, onion and celery until tender.
- Stir in all seasonings, cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, rice and sausage mixture, bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is done.
- Stir in tomatoes, shrimp and okra, cook for 10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, stirring occasionally.