Prep 1 min
Cook 10 mins
I'm not sure where I got this recipe from, I think it was from a fund raiser cookbook of some type. It is really quick, and very good. It uses only three ingredients. If you like spinach, I think you'll like this simple and easy spinach soup.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth, divided in half
- Press spinach between paper towels to remove extra water.
- Combine spinach and cream cheese in a saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until cheese melts, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in half of the broth.
- Transfer spinach to a blender, or use a handheld blender. Process on high speed for 1 minute or until smooth, scraping down sides to get all of it blended.
- Return mixture to the saucepan and stir in remaining broth. Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently.
I think that this is a very good base to start with - as written, it will appeal most to people who like mild soups, or to children. I would add some garlic and onions next time. I added a bit of lemon juice to the serving to perk up the flavor. As I had frozen cut leaf spinach, I just tossed it frozen in the saucepan with all of the broth. When the broth was hot but not yet simmering, I added the cheese. I stirred until it was melted, removed from heat and zapped with the immersion blender. It did not need any additional heating at that point. I think a spoonful of plain yogurt on top would be a nice addition. I might try adding just a grating or two of nutmeg next time, again, just to make it a bit more interesting. This is worth making and playing around with, and depending on your preferences or needs, it might be just the ticket as is.
This was delicious! I had whole leaf spinach so threw it in the food processor with some of the broth then put it all in the saucepan with the cheese and heated through. I did not add anything except a little fresh cracked black pepper. Thanks for the recipe!
What an easy to make and super tasty soup! Both my sis and me truly enjoyed this for a light dinner on a cold winters day. Mmmm!
The soup came together fast as lightning and the cream cheese and broth added enough flavour for our liking.
I did not puree my soup as I felt it didnt need. That way it was less creamy, but still very nice!
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this great recipe with us, breezermom!
Made and reviewed for the Soup and Bread Event in the Photo Forum and the Diabetic Warm me Up Event January 2011.