Recipe by breezermom
I'm not sure where I got this recipe from, I think it was from a fund raiser cookbook of some type. It is really quick, and very good. It uses only three ingredients. If you like spinach, I think you'll like this simple and easy spinach soup.
Top Review by duonyte
I think that this is a very good base to start with - as written, it will appeal most to people who like mild soups, or to children. I would add some garlic and onions next time. I added a bit of lemon juice to the serving to perk up the flavor. As I had frozen cut leaf spinach, I just tossed it frozen in the saucepan with all of the broth. When the broth was hot but not yet simmering, I added the cheese. I stirred until it was melted, removed from heat and zapped with the immersion blender. It did not need any additional heating at that point. I think a spoonful of plain yogurt on top would be a nice addition. I might try adding just a grating or two of nutmeg next time, again, just to make it a bit more interesting. This is worth making and playing around with, and depending on your preferences or needs, it might be just the ticket as is.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth, divided in half
Directions See How It's Made
- Press spinach between paper towels to remove extra water.
- Combine spinach and cream cheese in a saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until cheese melts, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in half of the broth.
- Transfer spinach to a blender, or use a handheld blender. Process on high speed for 1 minute or until smooth, scraping down sides to get all of it blended.
- Return mixture to the saucepan and stir in remaining broth. Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently.