Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Festive, zippy rice. Goes good with any main dish.
- 1 cup rice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄3 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄3 cup diced cooked carrot
- Saute rice in hot oil until light brown.
- Add onion, garlic, and salt.
- Cook on low until onion is tender.
- Add tomatoes, cook until soft.
- Add water, cover and simmer until water is absorbed.
- Stir in broth, peas, carrots, and cumin.
- Cover and simmer until broth is absorbed and rice is tender; about 10 minutes.
I was looking for just the right Spanish rice and I found it! This was very nice served with chili rellenos and refried beans. Thanks for good side dish!
good but it turned out too moist and i had to take off the lid and try to steam off the excess.
Auntie Nez, this rice is wonderful! I had guests home for dinner tonight, and I made this rice as a side dish. I made it just minutes before it was dinner time. Served hot this tasted soooo good. I did up the quantity of onions, I used about 3/4 cup. I used 4 of the garlic cloves, I guess it's about 1/2 Tbsp. (PACKED).I left out the salt and the carrots. Salt because the broth has salt already and I didn't want too much because mom can't have it then. I did use vegetable broth as a substitute as we are all vegetarians. My picky bro. who got back home at 12 am, wanted food as he entered and I served him some of your rice. He finished the skillet! LOL. Now if my bro. likes something, then, it is an award winning dish;) EVERYONE who ate it praised it. My dad, mom, our guests, bro. and me - we all loved it alot. The colour and taste were both really really good. THANK YOU so much for a great rice dish!