Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Perfect with beans and taquitos :P
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium sized onion)
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (like Olive Oil or Canola Oil)
- 1 cup raw rice
- 1 cup ground beef (taco filling)
- 1⁄2 cup diced green pepper (or any pepper)
- 2 cups water, PLUS
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon powder
- 1⁄4 cup prepared salsa
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes, rubbed between your fingers to crush slightly
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 tablespoon beef bouillon powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne, to taste
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Mix taco seasoning ingredients together. To make taco filling, stir this mixture into one or one and a half pounds browned ground beef.
- Add 1 cup cold water, stir well, and simmer until liquid is almost gone (about 15 minutes or so).
- Melt margarine and oil in a saute pan. Add onions, and cook until onions are clear and soft; add in raw rice.
- Cook rice, stirring constantly, until rice is turning golden, about 3 or 4 minutes. Add in peppers and taco meat, and garlic if using fresh garlic. Heat all through for about 1 minute. Add in water and the rest of the ingredients and stir to blend well.
- Cover the pan, and lower heat to low or 'simmer', and simmer for about 15 to 18 minutes, until rice is cooked.
- Serve with a salad and some cornbread, or corn chips for a complete meal.