Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
One pot meal my family enjoys. This is a very versitale recipe. You can use any kind of noodles or cheese that you like.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups uncooked medium egg noodles
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 -2 cup of shredded cheese
- Cook beef, green pepper and onion until meat is no longer pink and drain.
- Stir in the noodles, tomatoes, water, chili sauce, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
- Top with bacon and cheese.
It came as a great surprise to me, but this was actually better the next day.
My noodles took a lot longer to get soft--about 45 minutes--and I had to add more water twice. It also seemed to taste a little bland, even though the cheese I used was extra-sharp cheddar.
But when I took the leftovers out for lunch today, I found that the flavors had blended beautifully, and the noodles now had just the right amount of tenderness and firmness.
The purpose of the recipe is probably to make a quick, kid-friendly meal, but if you make some, try saving a bit overnight. That's when this dish really blossoms.
Made for ZWT 5
Update: This recipe works very well in an electric skillet.
This was OK, but I think something was missing. Next time I might us a jalopena pepper in place of the green pepper and use salsa instead of cocktail sauce. This has potential with a little playing around. Made for ZWT5 by a member of the Dining Daredevils.