Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
was given to me by father in law.. he was a cook and was proud of his recipes and his cooking ... this recipe was cook and serve by my husband at the fire station as he was a fireman ...this is a great recipe and also cook for the captain for his promotion... also freezes great...
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean pork
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (2 lb) cans tomatoes, crushed strained
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Trim fat from chuck and pork and grind together.
- Brown together till just light tan, stirring constantely.
- Add onions to meat, cook till onions are trainsparent.
- Add the following to the meat and onions: garlic, tomato paste,tomatoes,water, celery,parsley,oregano,basil leaves,rosemary,green pepper,bay leaf, brown sugar, black pepper,salt.
- Cook and bring to a boil stirring constantly.
- Turn heat to simmer, keep stirring till burner reaches simmer stage and don't scorch.
- Simmer about 3 hours stirring occasionally.
- Serve over spaghetti.
Best sauce ever!! Absolutely loved it.
FANTASTIC!!! I used diced tomatoes instead of crushed tomatoes since that's what I had in my cupboard and it still turned out excellent!!! The one other change I made was doubling the brown sugar [personal preference of course]. Definitely a 5-star recipe!!! TY for posting Ann Hugo!!! :D