Member #610488's Note:
This is a yoshoku (Euro-Japanese) recipe from Yoshikami, a little restaurant in the old Asakusa neighborhood of Tokyo, Japan. The original recipe was created at the New Grand Hotel in Yokohama, Japan, after World War II to cater to American GI's, and soon became a mealtime favorite across the rest of the country.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 lb white button mushrooms, trimmed thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 lb cooked ham, cut into 1/4 inch thick strips about 2 inches long
- 1/4 lb long beans or 1/4 lb regular green beans, trimmed cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sake
- 5 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Tabasco sauce, for serving (optional)
- 1Melt butter in a 6-qt saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are golden brown (10-12 minutes).
- 2Add ham to mushroom and onion mixture and cook until lightly browned (6-8 minutes). While ham, mushroom and onion mixture is cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. When water is at a rolling boil, add spaghetti and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 3Once ham mixture is browned, stir in long beans, milk, sake, ketchup, paprika, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Once bean mixture is at a boil, cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are just tender (3 minutes). Add reserved spaghetti to saucepan and toss in sauce to coat. Cook until pasta is warmed through (1-2 minutes).
- 4Divide spaghetti and sauce between serving bowls. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve with Tabasco, if you like.
Nutritional Facts for Spaghetti Napolitan
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 657.7
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 49.5 mg
- Sodium 340.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 27.8 g