Recipe by Dreamgoddess
From Taste of Home magazine, these onion rings were delicious served with grilled hamburgers. They had just the right amount of spices to suit my family's tastes. Of course, you can add in additional spices if you would like them with more heat. The prep time includes the time to soak the onion rings.
- 2 large sweet onions
- 2 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 -2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the onions in 1/4" slices and separate the rings.
- Put the rings in a bowl and add the buttermilk to cover the onions.
- Soak for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Beat together the eggs and water in another bowl.
- Combine the flour, salt, chili powder, cayenne, sugar, garlic powder and cumin in a shallow dish.
- Drain the onion rings.
- Dip the rings first in the egg mixture, then dredge in the flour mixture.
- Fry the onion rings, a few at a time, in 1" of oil heated to 375 degrees until golden brown on each side.
- Drain and serve immediately.