Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adapted from a recipe in Southern Living, this is a pretty salad that is sure to please! If you can't find Mexican cornbread mix, add in 1 4 0z. can green chili peppers and 1 15 oz. can creamed corn to the regular cornbread recipe, or make one of the fabulous recipes for it here on Zaar!
- 1 (16 ounce) package Mexican cornbread mix or 1 (16 ounce) packageregular cornbread mix
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope buttermilk ranch salad dressing mix
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained (may sub kidney or pinto beans)
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (or 1 15-oz. can corn)
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped (may use orange or purple peppers)
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded Mexican blend cheese
- 5 tablespoons artificial bacon bits
- 5 green onions, chopped
- Prepare the cornbread according to directions on package; cool and crumble.
- Set aside.
- Mix Ranch salad dressing mix with the buttermilk and mayonnaise. Set aside.
- Layer a large bowl with half each of cornbread, lettuce, tomatoes, beans, corn, bell peppers, cheese, bacon bits and green onions; spoon half of dressing evenly over the top. Repeat layers with remaining ingredients and dressing.
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours. Enjoy!
I liked this salad. It looked absolutely stunning in the bowl with all the pretty layers! I did feel that it was lacking a lot in the flavor department though...which was surprising. I think when I make it next time, I will add cilantro and maybe some chopped jalapeno to the mix. I made my own cornbread with green chiles, roasted red peppers and creamed corn. This is definitely a good recipe...it's probably just my southwestern taste buds expecting more punch. Thank you for the recipe!
I did make some changes to this recipe, I used my The Best Honey Cornbread which worked out well, boxed cornbread mixes are very hard to find in my city, and also used my own ranch dressing recipe, and used real bacon, this is one of those salads I could eat everyday of the week it is *that* delicious, thank you for sharing this great recipe Sharon!...Kitten:)
Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum! Only wish that we had more here for dinner . . . I'm ill from eating so much! DH was late for dinner and I was concerned that it had set too long, but no problem! Cut the recipe in half. Only change I made was used red onions instead of green onions (love the crunch of red onions). Used leftover Z'tejas Cornbread and Kittencal's Milk Boiled Corn on the Cob! Thanks Sharon for sharing!