Mexican Panzanella Salad (Cornbread Salad)
photo by threeovens
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 6 -7 cups cornbread, torn into small pieces (day old works best)
- 10 slices bacon, crispy and crumbled
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fresh sweet corn (cooked) or (11 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 head romane lettuce, shredded
- 3 large slicing tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (or poblano)
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (adjust to taste)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chiles in adobo, seeded and diced (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (adjust to taste)
- 1 jalapeno, minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Add one tablespoon vinegar to milk and allow to set for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a bowl until smooth.
- Note: Dressing can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored, covered in the refrigerator.
- In small bowl mix chopped avocados and lime juice; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, onions, peppers, and 2 tablespoons cilantro; set aside.
- In large serving bowl spread 1/2 of corn bread over the bottom.
- Top cornbread with lettuce, then 1/2 of black beans.
- Spread 1/2 of tomato mixture over beans.
- Top with 1/2 of corn, 1/2 of cheese and 1/2 of avocado/lime mixture.
- Spoon 1/2 of dressing on top.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of bacon crumbles and 2 tablespoons cilantro on top.
- Repeat layer process, topping with bacon and cilantro.
- Cover and chill for several hours before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I really enjoyed this salad a lot. It is a clever adaptation of an Italian classic. I used store-bought cornbread which was very sweet. I love each and every ingredient and made it just as written. I am only sorry that it was too mushy to eat the next day as it made far more servings than stated. Great interpretation! Thanks for posting.
This is pretty layered into a clear glass bowl with the presentation striking & colorful. That said, we preferred the salad mixed before serving. There is plenty of the flavorful dressing to coat everything & soften the dry cornbread, but not so much that it was unbearably soggy. Even the leftovers the next day were still flavorful & pleasing. The dressing used here is very good. I've had southern style cornbread salad many times & this southwest spin on it is excellent. This ended up being one of my favorites from the contest.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside . . . Chardonnay in one hand . . .chocolate in the other; the body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"