Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
I generally serve this tomato dish with fish. They seem to compliment each other nicely.
Make and share this Southern Stewed Tomatoes recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray an oven proof casserole with cooking spray and set aside.
- Put the tomatoes with their juices into the casserole and cut up into chunks.
- Add the sugar and stir.
- Cut the butter into chunks and add to tomato mixture.
- Stir in the stale bread cubes-enough to make a thick mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and the mixture is very thick.
- Cover with foil if it appears to be browning too quickly towards the end.
DH and I visited a cafe near Bourbon, Mo that served the best sweet breaded tomatoes... this was a couple yearss ago...I believe it was called Lewis cafe. I have been in search of a recipe that was close to the taste of those tomatoes and I believe this is about as close as it comes. These are great!!! And so easy.... I used my home canned tomatoes from our garden and the only change I made was to use just a bit less sugar than the recipe called for. Thanks Norma, they are awesome!!!
I always forget how much I like stewed tomatoes until I make them and wonder why I don't make them more often. I reduced the butter and sugar by 1/2 and thought it was perfect. Don't forget to add the salt, the directions don't actually direct you to do so. My mom always did them on the stove top and I was pleased to see a recipe for doing them in the oven. Couldn't be easier.
This recipe took me back many years..mote than I care to remember..LOL..just like my grandmother made..perfect..Thanks