Recipe by Normaone
I generally serve this tomato dish with fish. They seem to compliment each other nicely.
Top Review by Cinda Lu
DH and I visited a cafe near Bourbon, Mo that served the best sweet breaded tomatoes... this was a couple yearss ago...I believe it was called Lewis cafe. I have been in search of a recipe that was close to the taste of those tomatoes and I believe this is about as close as it comes. These are great!!! And so easy.... I used my home canned tomatoes from our garden and the only change I made was to use just a bit less sugar than the recipe called for. Thanks Norma, they are awesome!!!
- 3 slices stale homemade bread, cut in cubes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray an oven proof casserole with cooking spray and set aside.
- Put the tomatoes with their juices into the casserole and cut up into chunks.
- Add the sugar and stir.
- Cut the butter into chunks and add to tomato mixture.
- Stir in the stale bread cubes-enough to make a thick mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and the mixture is very thick.
- Cover with foil if it appears to be browning too quickly towards the end.