TIBS Southern Fried Green Tomatoes
- Ready In:
- Slice the tomatoes 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and vegetable magic on both sides of each slice (to taste). Set aside.
- Place the flour and cornmeal in separate shallow dishes for dredging.
- In a medium bowl, combine the milk and eggs, beating until thoroughly mixed.
- Place the bacon grease in a large skillet and heat to medium-medium high.
- When the skillet is hot, dust each tomato slice with flour, then dip into the milk-egg mixture, and then into the cornmeal. Fry some of the battered tomato slices for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom. Gently turn and fry the other side for 3 minutes.
- Remove from pan and let drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with the remaining tomato slices.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a single Dad of 3 kids. I've been a bachelor for 15 years. I took an interest in cooking at an early age. My Mom is a fantastic cook. Before I was ever allowed to cook a meal on her stove, she taught me the importance of spices. After high school, I split time as a ranch hand and cook for a renowned area restaurant. I went to chili cook offs with the owner and over the years I also served as a judge for a few. I have always enjoyed grilling and smoking more than anything else I cook. I have created many of my own recipes. And adapted others to my personal tastes. I have cooked for a lot of people over the years. And although I never entered a contest myself, many people who have not only entered but won big contests have tried my food. And I have often been asked why I don't enter. The answer is simple. My reward is the look of satisfaction on people's faces when they enjoy what they are eating. I don't need a trophy to enjoy the art of cooking. I just want to serve a good meal to good people who appreciate it.