Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is an extremely good and rich bread, absoutely yummy fresh from the oven but it is great chilled from the refrigerator or heated with melted butter. It can be frozen too. I make mini loaves to give as great gifts! Adapted from Mike Dolan who posted it on recipelinks and I changed it to make it my own. It would even be good with chocolate chips added! :) Makes 2 regular loaves or 4 mini loaves. Enjoy! To make the bread even healthier, try substituting 1/2 of the oil with applesauce.
- 3 cups flour, sifted (try 2 cups white flour, 1 cup whole wheat)
- 1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup oil (a neutral oil, I use corn or soy oil-or use 1/2 oil, 1/2 applesauce)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded, squeezed to remove excess liquid
- 1 cup nuts (or raisins-good with both!)
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease and flour well 2 bread loaf pans. I like to use 4 mini loaf pans for gifts.
- Sift together the flour(s), wheat germ if using, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl combine the eggs, brown sugar, white sugar, and oil.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly to the egg mixture.
- When thoroughly mixed, add the sour cream and vanilla.
- Finally, mix in the shredded zucchini, nuts and/or raisins.
- Pour the mixture into the two loaf pans (or mini pans).
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- If baking mini loaves, adjust time to about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Use a toothpick placed in the center of the loaf to see if the loaves are done. The toothpick should be clean or just have a few crumbs on it.
I have long used a sour cream recipe for banana bread, but never for zucchini. I will be from now on. So moist!!! This was a great breakfast this morning. I followed the recipe exactly. Thanks!
Perfect trick on my DH! He "hates" zucchini but gobbled this up! My sister says it's the best use of zucchini ever! I used the 2 white/1 ww flour suggestion and I may try 2 ww and 1 white next time. I did as another reviewer suggested and left out the white sugar altogether. I used applesauce in place of the oil as I always do when baking. I used a bit of walnuts and raisins. Next time I'll try nuts in one, raisins in another and a few plain ones. Thanks for a great recipe!
I can't believe I forgot to rate this! I really like the combo of wheat and regular flour. It was so yummy after the first batch I immediately made another batch. The sour cream is the trick...I think it all my quick bread recipes call for it. Thanks for posting!