Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
My sister gave me this recipe soon after I brought home my bread machine. It's a staple in our house. Soft and fluffy and great for sandwiches or just to eat fresh out of the oven! UPDATE 3/25/2005 - I made this using the dough cycle of my bread maker today but baked it in the oven and it turned out perfectly! I baked it at 350°F for 25-30 minutes.
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package bread machine yeast
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the water, sugar and yeast in the pan of the bread machine.
- Let the yeast dissolve and foam for 10 minutes.
- Add the oil, flour and salt to the yeast.
- Select Basic or White Bread setting, and press Start.
- You can also use the dough cycle of your bread maker and then place in a greased loaf pan; punch down and let rise again and then bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until done.
I have noticed on a few recipes that people have said the addition of oil to their recipes has left them with an "off" taste. Please as with an other ingredient make sure that you are not using old oil. Oil will turn rancid under certain conditions or with time. Hope this helps. I will be trying the recipe soon. It sounds wonderful :)
This really was a great soft white bread! It came out so fluffy and soft in the middle. It was delicious! I will use this recipe again for my bread machine. If any others have to set the lb's on their machines like I have to. This make a 1.5 lb loaf. Thanks for the recipe!
I joined the site just to review this recipe - by far the most amazingly soft bread I have ever made! I have tweaked it just a bit by substituting honey for the white sugar, replacing one cup of bread flour with white wheat and using olive oil. Once I started using the olive oil instead of canola, I swear the bread got even softer. I either bake it as a loaf or shape it into sandwich buns. We LOVE this bread, and it is a staple in our pantry. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!